4 ways How to write a drunk dialogue

Firstly, your dialogue must imitate the speech preference of the drunk character you are writing about. Being intoxicated brings about certain behaviors and slow pronunciation of some words. Some words are also mispronounced during the talking process. The character will have difficulty walking, doing outrageous things. It brings about a split-personality--being drunk.

Here are 4 ways how to write a drunk dialogue with examples


  • You can use exclamation marks with expressions.

The example

Viveen: Oh boy, I think I just saw a woman talking to Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ! In the middle of the road. I can't believe it. 

In the dialect above Viveen starts with a soft expression "Oh boy," and then she became loud when she says "Jesus Christ." We illustrated this by using the exclamation mark.

  • Use of Hyphens

Hyphens can indicate broken speech or broken pronunciation of words.

The example

Viveen: (She hugs the light post and starts dancing) I told you I would dance for you. I kn-know you didn't be-believe me. Wha-wha-what did you just say, you freak? Do you want me to go? Because I will.

The hyphen indicates a broken speech as you can see in the example above

  • Use of double Hyphens (--)

We can use double hyphens to show confusion or interruption.

The Example

Viveen: (She struggles to walk on the pavement.) I hate all of you. I can't believe I stole my sister's money to get drunk--What was that? Oh, I am so—oh, I just remembered.

James: (He sees his girlfriend Viveen.) There you are and you are drunk again.

Viveen: Yes, can I--

James: No, you are not getting another beer.

In the dialogue above Viveen displayed mixed thoughts. She mentioned that she stole her sister's money to get drunk and then she asked a question "What was that?." Then just suddenly remembered something.

In dialect 3 Viveen was going to ask her boyfriend a question but before she could finish her boyfriend interrupted her as he knew what she was going to say. The double hyphen is really helpful when it comes to displaying confused thoughts and sudden interruption by someone else.

  • We can use Ellipsis (...)

Ellipsis to some extent refers to pauses in dialogue and indicates silence. In this case, we can use it to show pauses and silence. It is going to be a part of our drunk reference.

The example

Viveen: (She looks at James) Wow, I can't believe your eyes look so beautiful... you're so amazing

James: You only say things like this when you are drunk. Do you love me?

Viveen: ...

James: You can never say that word even when you are drunk.

Viveen: I...Okay, it is hard to say.

I hope that this helps you. Do recommend the Hicorah blog to your friends. Share this educational content.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to write a blurb| examples | explanation| more

How can I improve my writing skills?

How can I improve my typing speed?